May 25, 2012

Book Log: Archers, Alchemists, and 98 Other Medieval Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed

IMG_2762

This is such a fun and informative book.  This is one of the many books we enjoyed in our study of The Middle Ages.  It’s called Archers, Alchemists, and 98 Other Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed by Priscilla Galloway with art by Martha Newbigging.

This book divides the many jobs of the Middle Ages into 10 different categories -

  1. Bread and Butter Jobs
  2. Religious Jobs
  3. Castle Jobs
  4. Wonder Workers’ Jobs
  5. Life and Death Jobs
  6. Sit-Down Jobs
  7. Artistic Jobs
  8. Dirty Jobs
  9. Law and Order Jobs
  10. Traveling Jobs

To go along with this book, I made a simple booklet for my children to record a job they would possibly love or loath in each category.  This was a great independent assignment. As they read about the various jobs in each category, they easily declared “No Way” to some or “I think I’d like that one” to others.  By reading about so many jobs necessary in the middle ages, we really got an expanded view of what manor life was like and how difficult the times were.

For those interested - Here are the pages to make a booklet of your own.  I printed one of the cover page which is just the title page of this neat book, and then I made 10 copies of the category page and cut away all but the needed tab for each category.  I folded the title page over the edge and stapled the pages together.  Is that clear as mud?

Here is a closer look of the booklet.

IMG_2764

IMG_2765

3 comments:

  1. ooo...that sounds like an awesome book. I will have to find it. (and thanks for the printouts. You are always so creative!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking at this book, wondering if I should buy it. Would a second grader enjoy it or do you think I should wait awhile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think readers of all ages would find it great fun - and informative.

    You can view a few pages at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Archers-Alchemists-Medieval-Loathed-History/dp/1550378104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065011&sr=8-1

    You can also see what jobs are listed in each category in the table of contents.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.