May 02, 2011

Even Though I KNOW

Homeschooling for us has always been an evolving process.  It doesn’t look quite the same way for very long.

My oldest child attended public school through the 5th grade.  We finished schooling him at home. It was the best thing we could have done for him.  Since he graduated from our homeschool and has been attending college full time, our homeschooling crew was down to two this year. 

For me, homeschooling middle school and high school was just easier than teaching the elementary years.  I didn’t wonder if my oldest was “behind” or learning what he should or if he would be prepared for college and life.  I knew he would be.

However, with my younger two, I have had these worries. 

Even though I KNOW that each child develops at his own rate. 

Even though I KNOW it’s beneficial to be patient and wait for my child to be ready for learning various things.

Even though I KNOW if I follow their timetable, they can master in two weeks what I would have spent a year trying to teach them.

Even though I KNOW the Lord has His hand in all things.

Even though I KNOW each of us have a mission that is uniquely our own.

Even though I KNOW that instilling a love for learning is more important than finishing a workbook.

Even though I KNOW they will gain more knowledge from personal interest studies than they could get from the basics in a text book.

Even though I KNOW the value of learning through satisfying one’s curiosities.

Even though I KNOW discovering how they learn is every bit as important as what they learn.

Even though I KNOW these things some days I still worry.

But, lately I’ve been looking at the seeds (of learning) I’ve planted, and I can see blossoms bursting forth. And somehow I just KNOW the fruit will be good.

4 comments:

  1. What a great post for me to read this morning...thanks:) This was our first year of homeschooling, and although I "know" the same things...it was great to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when God gives us glimpes that we are doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/05/2011

    This is just what this homeschool mom needed to be reminded of - I do know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my first 2 do some public school as well. My 3rd on the other hand is going to be just totally me schooling him...this scares me to death...even though I know! :) Thanks for sharing, it really does make it better to know that others also have those doubts, and overcome them.

    Even though I know...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.