March 24, 2011

New Opportunities for Learning

We’ve now lived out in the country for almost 3 months. I LOVE it!  I’ve never lived dFun stripown town in a big city but have lived in neighborhoods in or near town.  I’ve always longed for the simple more down-to-earth dig-in-the-dirt kind of place.  I guess I am a country girl at heart.  The country does offer so much.  We feel doubly blessed, we enjoy the best of both worlds since we are not far from all the modern conveniences we are used to. 

We have taken on some great projects lately which have opened up all sorts of learning opportunities for our family. I plan to blog about them all.

  • We are preparing for our garden.  We have built a grow lamp to start seeds indoors.  We have planted seeds so far for onions, 3 kinds of tomatoes, sugar snap peas, carrots, romaine and bib lettuce and kidney beans and cantaloupe. I still have watermelon, cucumbers, radishes and other things to plant. How much is too much? That's why I'm keeping a gardening journal. :)
  • We’ve joined 4-H which has great resources for so many things!  Through 4-H we are participating in the poultry chain.  We will have approx. 20 chicks scheduled to arrive in mid April.  We are raising layers and entering some in the county fair.  We are still building our brooding boxes and have to get our chicken coop & run built. Mattie has entered a diary food recipe contest for later this month and Mason recently attended the ATV Safety Workshop.  There are so many neat opportunities through this group.
  • Mason has finally decided to learn to ride a bike and we are in walking distance to a park with a paved track around it.  If the weather is decent at all, we head to the park. He has logged miles and miles on his bicycle now. This has really motivated us to be more active and exercise conscious.
  • We are still working on our house. I think we all believe it will never get finished.  Initially we accomplished lots due to necessity, but now we are busy with life and the work on the house has decreased significantly.  I’m not going to give up though, I’m going to set a goal for myself to finish mudding a room a week.  I just have to make myself do it.  Why is self mastery so hard?  Michael says it’s pathetic that the chickens are going to have a completed house before we do. I agree.  But life is what it is….
  • We are studying bugs.  There are lots of bugs in the country. Our entomology study is using 4-H Entomology activity workbooks and also Apologia’s Flying Creatures of the 5th Day (the insect part).
  • My oldest son is preparing to leave for a two-year mission for our church. He is mid-way through this semester of college and all his focus will go toward his mission once this semester is over. We have lots to do in this area.  I’ll share more about that as it comes.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful adventure. Good luck! (is it wrong that I am a little envious?! :D) I am excited to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.