March 23, 2011

From Combined Studies to the Pursuit of Personal Interests

personal-interests-smMy latest post is up at The Homeschool Classroom.

Until recently, personal interests at our house were easily satisfied through unit studies and a trip to the library. Lately, however, my daughter has an insatiable interest in animals.

The nonfiction section of our library has become her new favorite place to be. For hours each day, her face is stuck in a book and she is more than happy to share all sorts of animal trivia to anyone who will listen.  Just today she brought home books on chickens, farm birds, guinea pigs, woodchucks, sea turtles, chipmunks, reptiles and to her great delight – the platypus.

Seeing my daughter’s drive to learn on her own has truly made my heart sing. It has also sent me back to our homeschool drawing board.

To read the rest, hop on over to The Homeschool Classroom.  If you combine children in certain areas, you may have just the insight I’m looking for.   You can leave me a comment there. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your photo. And I miss the younger years of homeschool. Algebra is so dry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.