November 12, 2010

Our Weekly Review is WICKED!! More theater!

wickedThis past week has been typical.  I know that sounds boring doesn’t it?  It’s not really.  It’s just that our schooling schedule is so routine, that it just sort of happens without a whole lot of friction.  It feels good.  It’s just a normal part of life.  It’s a nice place to be. 

Since the two youngest have been sick with sore throat and congestion all this week, sometimes our length of study time per subject was shortened.  As a matter of fact, on Wednesday, they were both feeling so cruddy, I had them lay down with a blanket while I read aloud for 2 hours so they could rest.  We are now on the 3rd book in the Peter and the Starcatchers Trilogy.

On Thursday morning, while they were working on math, We had Christmas music playing and I made some cinnamon rolls.  It was a nice morning.

On Thursday night, Michael and I went to his second and last required theatre production for his college class.  We saw WICKED!  I can’t even find words to describe this production.  WOW!!!  Absolutely brilliant!

This has me thinking.  Wicked (which is the story of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with a different perspective – a prequel if you will),  along with the Peter and the Starcatchers Series (also a prequel type story of Peter Pan) have just thrilled us!  I’m thinking this might be setting the stage for a great creative writing project ahead.  Wouldn't it be fun to pick a familiar story and write the prequel for it?

To see what others have been doing this week, visit the weekly wrap-ups @ Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

8 comments:

  1. Great writing idea!
    Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super writing idea! The morning with the cinnamon rolls sounds particularly good to me!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... what a wonderful week. :-)

    I'm glad you liked Wicked-- the musical is so awesome! Just beware of the book. :-( It's very yucky. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,
    I'm sorry to hear your kids have sore throats. I've heard of a lot of that going around. Hope they're better soon.
    My daughter would love trying your writing idea. She loves writing, and is super creative. My son on the other hand would hate it. He has Downs and everything has to be the same. If you change anything it just isn't right, according to him. lol Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always thought what a genius idea the prequel was. I have seen Wicked twice and it is by far the best production I have seen throughout the years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wicked! Awesome... And what a great writing assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see that writing idea being something a child could get a hold of. So many creative writing projects are too abstract for young people (imo). This could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to the weekly wrap-up and this is my first time visiting your blog, so I wanted to say hello!
    We have loved the Peter and the Starcatchers series! We are waitng for the last one (the fourth one) Peter and the Sword of Mercy to get to paperback so we can buy it and read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.