October 01, 2010

Camp Fires, Mud, Fun on the River Banks, and More Mud, (WR Sept 27 – Oct 1st)

8843

The children have been digging a fire pit for a couple of weeks, the day we were going to use it, they decided to add water and make mud.  Luckily I caught them before they had too much water in it.  Of course they just dug another hole and added water to the new one.  We started our fire in the mid afternoon on Monday in preparation for our Family Night activities.  We had so much fun!  We ended up making s’mores with some giant-sized marshmallows.  I’ll admit, I haven’t had that much fun in a while.

Reading: I picked up 35 books from the library this past week for Mattie and Mason to pick through for their independent reading time.  I am keeping a list of all the books they read independently to themselves or to someone and will post them once a month.  Mason (my reluctant reader) is making progress.  I have high hopes he will enjoy reading at some point.

Religion: The children have been working on some other goals I have for them this week as well.  They are learning the books of Scripture in order and also practicing finding scripture verses.  The are getting quicker and seem to enjoy looking references up.

Read-Alouds: This week we are enjoying two read-alouds – Harry Potter and The Year Money Grew on Trees. I’ve read Harry Potter previously but the youngest two haven’t.  The other read aloud is just delightful.  I will post a review when we’ve finished it.

Math:  Both children have spent approximately two hours or so on Dreambox Learning this week.  They are progressing nicely.  Except for Dreambox, we’ve thrown our Math resources out for now. Dreambox covers everything and provides so many different perspectives for working with numbers.  I’ve been so impressed with it.

Nature Studies:  In addition to spending hours each day digging and making mud, we also journeyed out with our nature notebooks for our Outdoor Hour. Our Outdoor Hour expeditions usually end up taking several hours, if much of the day.  This week was no exception.  We took a trail through the woods up the river and enjoyed ourselves on the sandy river shore.  We came across several cool things, including many animal tracks.  You can read more about that here.

We wrapped up our week at a potluck with our homeschool group, some kickball and a little fresh air.  It was a great week!

This post is linked to the Weekly Wrap-up over at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and ideas for all of those yummy books! Because you are so cool, you have been awarded The Versatile Blogger Award. Come on by my blog to pick it up.

    Take care!
    Amy -- http://completeknowledge4me.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.