September 30, 2010

This Week’s Outdoor Hour Nature Study

Day on the Rivershore This week’s nature study was really fun. The temps were in the low to mid 70’s with a nice breeze. My oldest son (Michael) was able to join us since his last college class for the day was cancelled. We had a really good time together.

This week’s Nature Hour goal was to learn to listen to nature.  We heard the wind blowing through the trees, the sound of water lapping on the shore and some insects and an occasional bird.  It was a wonderful day!  We drew in our nature sketch books and just enjoyed being outside.  I read some of our read-aloud while the children dug in the sand, and then we were off to explore.

We found some really interesting specimens of nature.  We found this fuzzy caterpillar (pictured in the center) that could really move!  I almost missed the picture of him or her. 

We saw several different animal tracks along the river.  We saw what we believe were raccoon tracks, Heron or Crane tracks, dog tracks and deer tracks. 

We also saw something from the centipede family (picture in top row) and lots of tangled tree roots, cool rocks and drift wood.  Mason found the perfect stick.

The children wanted to see just how big a particular rock was and started digging around it.  We never did get to the bottom of it.  I’m sure it weighed hundreds of pounds.  We couldn’t get it to budge.

We had never been this far down the river before.  We fell in love with this remote, unspoiled section of nature.  We plan to return again next week.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about your afternoon nature study. I think you did a great job on this challenge and found lots of interesting things to observe. Digging out rocks sounds like something my boys would do too....

    Thank you for sharing your link and I look forward to your next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your collage. Looks like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great week with a lot of good nature finds. Following your blog from another HS blog I follow. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.