July 19, 2010

Tutorial: Lapbooking (MSWord) -Simple Fold Pieces

I enjoy making my own lapbook pieces for my children.  I use Microsoft Word and for certain items I use Photoshop.  This tutorial will be for Microsoft Word.  You can apply this to even older versions, I am using 2007. There is a new version out that will work similarly.

There is more than one way to do this; in this tutorial I will show you how to make simple folded booklets using basic shapes.

In MSWord, insert a shape. I am showing you two different shapes.

tutorial lapbook 1

Next you will need to copy your shape by clicking on it to activate it. To “activate” you need to click on the edge of your shape or text box or whatever you are working with, so it shows a border with boxes that you can drag to change the size.  Once you’ve activated your shape, right click and copy.   Next, paste the shape and drag it to line it up with the other as shown below. (See the spell check is working☺) 

tutorial lapbook 2

Now comes the fun part – adding graphics and text.  I am going to add an image by inserting a picture and choosing the image from my computer.  You can also click insert clipart and look through the Microsoft gallery.

When you insert your image, it will go behind or in front of your image like below.  You will need to activate your image, then right click, and then go to text wrapping/in front of image.  In the older version of Word (2003), you will need to activate, right click, and go to the format box at the bottom of your list and click on layout and then click “in front of text”.

tutorial lapbook 3

This will place your image in front of your shapes and make it movable.  Activate your image and use the corner squares to adjust the size of your image to fit your lapbook piece. I needed to shrink my image considerably to fit my area.

tutorial lapbook 4

Next I will add some text.  Add a text box, by selecting insert/text box/draw text box.  You will need to draw your text box by dragging the “+” to make a box.  The background will be white and there will be a black border.  You can change both the background and the border in the format text box section.  You’ll need to activate then right click on the text box to see this format option.

image

Once in the format text box section, you will see a “colors and lines” section.  Within that section you will use “fill” to make your background colored or you will make it transparent by selecting “no color”. 

Likewise, you will use the “line” section to determine your border color, style (dashed, double lined, etc.) and also thickness.  If you do not want a border you can select “no color”.  I chose to have no border on one and a border with a transparent background on the other.

To change your font or font color in your text box. You just highlight your text like you would regularly and make the changes as you would when working with a Word document.

Tutorial Lapbook 6

I hope you have enjoyed this simple tutorial.  Play with this and you will be ready for my future tutorials which will add more detail to your pieces and show you how to make new more complicated pieces.

Note: I am assuming that you are somewhat familiar with Microsoft Word already or are at least willing to play with it to figure it out.   I am happy to answer your questions, but I ask that you first play around with this tutorial for a bit.  As you play, you will be able to answer many of your own questions.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great explanation. I don't know why I hadn't thought of using shapes instead of drawing tables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is really inventive way of using autoshapes.

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thanks so much for posting. My oldest is gaining an interest in the computer so this will be a fun way for us to create our own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carrie, You will be surprised at what you/he will learn while making the lapbook pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tutorial! I will be passing this on to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tutorial is so simple and clearly laid out - I hope stacks of people give it a try! I LOVE making stuff on MS Word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1/06/2012

    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.