July 24, 2010

Curriculum Picks and Future Plans

blocks Now is the time that families are finalizing their plans for the next school year.  However, we school year round and back in May we were just getting into our homeschooling groove.

We’ve accomplished quite a bit this summer and everyone has been happy with our summer schedule. For the next few months we will continue what we are currently doing. Here are our current building blocks for learning:

Spelling/Phonics/Reading – We use All About Spelling and it takes care of all of this.  We are on step 22/25 of Level 2 which means we we begin Level 3 soon. My children’s reading and spelling skills have just exploded with this program.  They had a good base with the SWR program. They knew the phonograms and  spelling rules but the teaching style of AAS is just fantastic!

Math – We are still using Dreambox Learning.  I am so impressed with this program.  The different perspectives and ways to look at math are just brilliant. Have you ever wondered why a child might be on a certain level in one math program and take the placement test for another and not be able to apply what they learned to the new math program?  They often teach using a different perspective.  Dreambox teaches many different perspectives. You learn to look at math in different ways. It’s all about learning to use your NOGGIN!  Once we complete Dreambox we will take the placement test in Math-U-See and see where the kids will land.  I’m certain we will skip a couple of levels at least.

Science – We are continuing the Apologia Exploring Creation Series.  We are working our way through Flying Creatures of the 5th Day.  We would have been finished with this but we let Science go for a while to work on other things.  We are now lapbooking our way through Science and loving it.  At the moment, the popular vote on what comes next goes to Astronomy.  For anyone interested I post my lapbooking pieces here on our blog. You are welcome to use them.

History/Geography/Mapping – We have been studying History with Unit Studies and adding those pages to our History Notebook.  It’s been really fun.  I haven’t decided if we will continue as we have been or if I want to use The Story of the World for a spine as an order of study.  Eventually, I know I will teach history chronologically but by doing unit studies now, I am creating memory tags which will really aid in comprehension and understanding for later studies. Regardless of which way I choose to go, our basis will still be living books.  We read our way through History and can’t imagine it any other way.

Writing – We will continue to write our pen pals and lapbook.  I am currently not using any curriculum for Grammar.  I’ll add that when I feel it’s time. At some point I plan to jump back into Writing With Ease. As you can see Writing is not something I’m too concerned about for the next few months.  They have plenty of practice in their other studies.

Handwriting – We are almost finished with their Handwriting Without Tears Cursive books.  We will pick up the next one when this one is finished.  We’ve really enjoyed HWT.

Gospel – Our gospel study will continue with the Old Testament.  I think we will  dive into the New Testament around January.  I feel we need to really focus on Christ and get to know Him better.

The Arts – We will continue using the Anholt Art books as history units.  Once we complete those, we plan to focus on Music.

My oldest has graduated from Homeschool and will be attending college full-time on a Presidential Scholarship (full tuition/fees scholarship with a $500 book allowance per semester).  We are excited for him and his new educational journey as well. Hooray Michael!

The children will all get many lessons on home remodeling, building, decorating etc. as we are moving into our unfinished house in a few weeks. 

This post is linked to The Curriculum Edition of Weekly Wrap-Up.

16 comments:

  1. Very cool. I need to codify what we're using for next year. I'm so tempted by All About Spelling, but haven't quite been willing to pull the trigger yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we started AAS sooner. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great plan of study! Congrats to you all on your graduate and his accomplishments. That is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jacquelin, we are lovin life around here! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive on your graduate and scholarship-- which college? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaradon - He qualified for scholarships to 3 universities here in Arkansas. The same ACT scholarship would apply at any college I image, but Michael is staying close to home until he leaves for his mission in less than a year. He's considering BYU or BYU Hawaii when he returns. We should be able to get his scholarship to transfer, we will see, we are checking into this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following you for awhile and love all your ideas...especially Dreambox...it has been amazing for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love it too Michelle. I'm glad I shared it so others can check it out. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of Dreambox math, but you've got me curious now. I've bee contemplating The Story of the World next year with my rising 1st grader.

    Huge congrats to your oldest on the college scholarship, I know you are SO proud:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Course of Study!! Thank you for sharing! I am enjoying the Blog Hop! Happy Homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lovely blog! I've always been a little intimidated by lapbooking, but we are starting Flying Creatures and your lapbooking materials look great -- so maybe I'll give it a try. We just finished the Astronomy book and loved it, so I'm sure you will too. I was also looking at your Lewis and Clark post -- love it! Wish I had seen it earlier this year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kellie. How funny, we are doing Astronomy next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We also use Handwriting without Tears and I love the program. We will begin cursive next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello:) Stopping by from the blog hop. Looks like you have a great year planned! We are using Apologia and SOTW for the first time this year and are really excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Your year looks like it is going to be lots of fun, I signed up to follow along!

    Wish we were doing the same Apologia book this year - your lapbook looks great!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to your graduate! How did he apply for scholarships?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.