July 31, 2010

Cootie Catcher Fun

I have to admit, I’ve never called them cootie catchers and we don’t have cooties at our house, but apparently these fun paper contraptions are commonly known by such a name.

I suspect most of us had a grand time as a child playing with these paper wonders.  When the memory of them hit me, I immediately knew I had to introduce them to my children.

How to fold a cootie catcher:  Start with a square.  Fold from corner to corner making a triangle. Open and repeat with the other corners making a creased "X" when opened.  Fold all corners to the center and crease well. Flip this folded square over and fold the corners to the center again and crease well.  Next, fold in half from bottom to top and crease well. Open that last fold and fold left to right and crease well.  Lift up flaps and insert fingers. You are now ready to label your sections and have some fun!

I have included a few ideas for cootie catcher fun below – just print and go!

  • A  traditional pick a number, color and animal catcher
  • A practice-your-math-facts catcher
  • A catcher puppet pet creature

 

Cootie Catchers Set 1

 - Disclaimer - 

Cootie Catchers are really fun, but they are not conducive to reverent behavior at church.  Don’t ask me how I know.  Let me just say, a “singing” wolf and frog cootie catcher were involved.

*This post was originally written for Latter-day Homeschooling.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I printed out the cootie catchers, which come with instructions, yay! I had no idea how to make these. My kids have been on a roll with them since I printed them out. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've enjoyed them. My kids have too! After the incident in church with the cootie catchers, I realized it is contagious, several of the kids had them this week... OOPS! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. The catchers are too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea!! So much more fun than flash cards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.