June 25, 2010

Unit Study: The Lewis and Clark Expedition

lewisandclarklego Our spine: The Journal of Augustus Pelletier – The Lewis and Clark Expedition by Kathryn Lasky. We used Lewis and Clark (In Their Own Words) by George Sullivan as a secondary reference but not much at all.  We originally had planned to use this as our spine but after reading about the Titanic through journal format, this seemed too dry.  I was thrilled when I came upon The Journal of Augustus Pelletier, I knew immediately that it would become our spine.  You can read our full reviews in our book log by following the respective links.

lewis_clarke       lewis-and-clark

 Other books:  We enjoyed Seaman’s Journal – On the Trail with Lewis and Clark by Patricia Reeder Eubank and also Lewis and Clark – Explorers of the American West by Steven Kroll and illustrated by Richard Williams.

seaman'sjournal      lewisclarkex

Other Resources:

DVD: We watched Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery  courtesy of Netflix instant.  Note: There is a point in the movie where they briefly mention a tribe that has a custom of sending several woman in to sleep with a man to bring the buffalo for hunting.  This was not in any of our other sources, so I wasn’t expecting it.  There was no visual of this, it was just mentioned in narration.  My children missed it entirely, I thought I’d mention it here.  Other than that we enjoyed the film.

We added a page of the expedition and a map of the Louisiana Purchase to our History Notebook.  We also added a short bio on Captain Lewis and Captain Clark.

Here are some pictures of our lapbooks as they were progressing. We will spiral bind these and they will go on our shelf for later review.

8464 8463 8465   

8467 This was a great unit study.  We loved it!  We can’t wait to watch The Lewis & Clark IMAX movie in Memphis later this Summer. And we are hoping to be able to squeeze in a visit to St. Louis to visit the Lewis & Clark Exhibit as well.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love your Lego Lewis and Clark (or Lewis N. Clark, as my kids thought for so long!) We did a unit study last year and loved it. We used a lot of the same books--here is ours: http://smallworldathome.blogspot.com/2008/09/on-trail-with-lewis-and-clark.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. We have loved studying Lewis and Clark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! Would love for you to join my collaborative pinterest board for Hands-On History. Let me know if you would like to do so and I'll add you as a pinner. You can pin this and any other great history ideas, along with fellow bloggers. Thanks! http://pinterest.com/creeksidelearn/hands-on-history/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.