May 15, 2010

May 10th - 14th

weekly check in With one more lesson to go to finish in level 1 of All About Spelling, I am already looking forward to jumping in to level 2.  The children have really enjoyed this program and we have flown through it in just 3 & 1/2 to 4 weeks.  I’m sure we will slow down a bit at some point.  Level one has been a review for us and time to get the hang of a new program.  We are impressed.  Mattison’s speech therapist is impressed as well at the progress she has seen over the last 4 weeks in Mattison’s reading ability. It has been pretty awesome!

The children are progressing through DreamBox Learning as well.  Mason has slowed down quite a bit, partly because the material is getting more difficult, but mostly because he has been working on multiple assessments and playing in the carnival section.  He loves the clown dunking game.  I have to admit, it’s quite clever.  Mason has completed 119 lessons. Mattison is  progressing nicely and has completed 40 lessons.  Since, she was initially playing under the parent account, she started from scratch when I signed her up, two weeks after her brother.  She is also taking lots of assessments and has been able to skip chunks at a time.  I am seriously impressed with the way Dreambox changes the perspective of Math.  I’ve never come across anything like it.  We will finish this up through the summer.

Michael, my oldest who is graduating from our homeschool this year, just finished his first semester of college with a 4.0 GPA!  He was only attending part-time but he had a huge work load and he earned that GPA. Way to go! Awesome Job Michael!  He also graduates next week from 4 years of early morning seminary! I’m very proud of him.

On Friday, I had one of those awesome days at the library, where you find all these wonderful treasures you haven’t noticed before.  I mean lots of them!  I will be leaving reviews of them as we use them this coming week.  I’ve also been getting our Lewis and Clark unit ready to kick off next week.  I’ve found some great resources and I look forward to sharing them with  you.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your week in review - I've been searching for a spelling program and math program that will fit my boys' learning styles, so it's great to know you've loved yours. I'm going to go look them up now.

    I know what you mean about those randomly successful library trips where things sort of magically appear. It's so fun!

    Lastly, I have to tell you that we studied Lewis and Clark a few weeks ago and found an awesome interactive site by the Missouri Historical Society. Maybe you've seen it already? I wrote about it at http://www.worldstaracademy.com/2010/04/lewis-and-clark.html.

    Good luck with your studies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.