April 21, 2010

I said those words….

Photoxpress_3216982 I was mad, not just irritated, but really mad.  Anger had gotten the best of me and all sense of smarts went out the window. 

The morning went fantastic.  Everyone cooperated and worked efficiently on their schoolwork.  I took my youngest out for a break to play some baseball in the front yard.  We had a great time.  However, that was about to change.  We resumed our school work and then with the assignment of one task, my youngest turned mean and ugly and started name calling.  He refused to do the assignment.  I asked him if he had any ideas for an alternate assignment and he was not open to that.

Instead of letting this go, I dug in.  Why aren’t you cooperating with me?  Why do you constantly have to argue and be mean?  To which he replied, Why do I have to do that stupid work anyway?

Tempers were rising and he hit our dog in the face.  I grabbed him and took him to his room.  I tried to be reasonable; I asked him why he was so mean, and why he wouldn’t cooperate.  At this point this was no longer about an assignment to me. It was about his constant arguing and refusal to cooperate among other things.  I said, “ If you went to public school, they’d fail you for refusing to do your work.”  and then these words came out of my  mouth…

To read more… Visit my post at The Homeschool Classroom.

4 comments:

  1. I dont know if this actually happened to you yesterday but a similar situation happened with me and my 9 yo dd yesterday. She was absolutely NOT going to multiply 8x8 or 8x9. I did not threaten public school, we only started hs this past January, I am sure she would say she would love to back to 'real school'. I fear that if I gave her the option to not do her work she would take it and continue to fight me. arrr. But I will try it. Maybe ask her if she doesnt do it now, when will she make sure to get it done? I dont know... it can be so hard.

    Anyway, I found comfort in your post. I really did. Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one...

    I cant wait to have the time to peek around your blog!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it all at the other site. Thanks for being transparent. I have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've been there... so many more times than I care to mention... and mine is only 6! He's the most affectionate of my boys... and the fastest to anger and the quickest to get to me. Prayer is a must with kids like this... and looking back at where/when perspective went out the window. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with a little one like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done it...as a joke, but after I say it I realize it is not really funny.

    This was a great eye opening post. Even in jest it is not funny.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.