January 08, 2010

Getting Back Into Our ROUTINE

Well, this was our "get back into routine" week.  It didn't go exactly as planned, however.   We have been preparing for our science by setting up our bird feeders, and a squirrel feeder this past week. We've enjoyed watching the discovery of food during this very cold time.

Monday was my birthday, and we hadn't been out of the house for a week (except for church), as you can imagine, there was a serious need for catch up on groceries and errands.  I was also finishing up my post for the Homeschool Classroom on that day. The public schools were still closed for winter break, so Michael went over to a friends for the afternoon, while the younger two and I headed to the library for some more reading material.

On Tuesday, I was busy tying up Michael's info for starting college next week.  AHHH!  Can you believe it?  My 17 year old is starting college! It seems like I just taught him how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich yesterday. They grow up so fast. Tuesday afternoon Mattie's therapy routine was upon us in full force. Have I mentioned how tired I am of sitting in a therapy waiting room for hours each week?  I've been doing this for 15 years now.  I am grateful for the benefits of  Mattie's Speech Therapist and OT.  It just gets old...... This year the youth meet for church midweek on Tuesday, so the kids were busy with youth, Cub Scouts and AD Girls activities that evening. Mattie made the cutest journal!

On Wednesday, Michael worked on his World History/Government, Math and his novel. Mattie and Mason worked on a Math review page, while the looks in their eyes said "My brain is not back from break."  It's been unusually cold here already and the arctic blast was coming. We hauled wood to the porch, and anticipated our 80% + chance of snow.

On Thursday, we woke to a terrible disappointment of NO SNOW!  Mason put it so well when he said "Winter without snow is a waste."  Fortunately, Michael was back into routine and I was able to suck Mattie and Mason into a side learning venture, they also finished a page of math fact review even though the brain seemed a bit slow. Thursday night we finished our read aloud - Caddie Woodlawn's Family and started Cleopatra VII Daughter of the Nile (The Royal Diaries). Read Aloud time is my favorite part of homeschooling. It happens everyday no matter what life throws at us.

Today is Friday. Usually Mattie has therapy appointments and we meet with our homeschool group, but with the windchill, it is 2 degrees right now.  All meetings/errands were cancelled.  Our normal school week is from Monday through Thursday year round. On Fridays we meet with our homeschool group for all kinds of activities.  However, today, we are doing some school work to help us get back into the swing of things.  Mattie, who has really struggled with reading, is working hard on her goal.  Once she finishes reading all 20 of her level 2 books, I am puchasing her an American Girl doll.  Believe me it is so worth it!  She received a new American Girl doll magazine in the mail a couple of days ago with the new doll for 2010 - Lanie.  This doll not only looks alot like my Mattie but she loves animals and nature too! I've been informed that Lanie is the one she wants. ☺ Mattie has reread # 3,4, and 5 and then read # 6.  She will practice reading some more today.  Mason is reading Secret Agent Jack Stalwart right now.  This morning he built the fire all by himself for the first time.  Please pray that he doesn't burn the house down with this new found ability (see previous post about this).

This post is part of  the Weekly Wrap Up.

Update:  I forgot that

5 comments:

  1. Loved the journal! You've got me thinking....hmmm. We are working through Small World's WordSmithery and we are just about ready for a new journal. I do think you have given us a project. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- I can't even imagine getting one of the kids ready for college. As a matter of fact, I might have a panic attack right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for an award at http://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com/2010/01/lemonade-stand-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love read a loud too! The Royal Diaries- Cleopatra is one of Logan's favorite!

    Mason is right about the snow. At least if it's cold then let's have snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to your college bound baby! That's so sad and exciting :) I'm glad you had a good week...even with the wind chill. Yikes!!

    http://crispy-not-crunchy.blogspot.com/2010/01/wwu-first-week-back.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.