November 28, 2009

A Noggin Challenge

Mason is my inventor. He loves/needs to work with his hands and mind.

Last night he was working on making a raft. He glued, taped and hot glued some pvc pipe to some pieces of laminate flooring and some boards. He then went looking through the garage for some more supplies. He was unhappy with his options and started pacing around the house with an unpleasant look on his face. I knew he needed to create, so I issued him a challenge:

I would give him some supplies:

  • cardboard tube
  • Glad press n' seal plastic wrap
  • aluminum foil
  • popsicle sticks
  • straws
He would create:
  • something that would float
  • that he could move by blowing it
  • that could hold 2 of his guys
Now I could have given him some hints and tips, but instead I left him to it entirely. First, he placed popsicle sticks next to each other (like a raft) and then he wrapped it in plastic wrap. Then he informed me that it wasn't stable enough, so he added some sticks perpendicular to the others. Next, he added some straws along the edges. At this point his noggin was really working. He blew into the straws and realized the plastic wrap would hold air. He wrapped more layers and before I knew it.... SUCCESS! He was yelling for me to come see!

Here is the picture I took of him testing it. He has since moved it into the bathtub and has made modifications. He is happy when he can use his hands and his NOGGIN!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm not sure if you already know about this site: http://www.kidswhothink.blogspot.com/ but it's a great site that offers weekly challenges for kids to complete and from all that I've been reading (I'm slowing going through your blog - one post at time) about your little guy I really think he'd enjoy this - if he isn't already. Just thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shaie! We will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.