November 30, 2009

~ About Us ~
I hoped for a large family with several children, instead, I was blessed with three children (each with special needs) and a loving husband. My Heavenly Father has indeed blessed me far more than I could ever deserve. Through it all, I've learned that I can trust in HIM for HE knows better than I. ♥

Hubby

This is my husband.  He is supportive and encouraging in our homeschooling endeavors.  He is an entrepreneur and he is also a PHD student.  It's been a crazy few years for him and us, as he's burned his candle at both ends.  We are all looking forward to the end of his schooling adventure. It's not called a "terminal" degree for no reason. He is easily amused and finds fun everywhere. He bends over backward, literally if necessary, to make our children laugh. He reminds me not to take myself too seriously. He is often strong where I am weak which is a real blessing.  He is the peanut butter to my jelly and I couldn't do what I do without him.
  
Me
This is me. I am a crazy-haired perfectionist who has been learning to deal with both my perfection issues and my unmanageable hair.  I sit in a waiting room for hours each week for speech, occupational, and physical therapies and have for the past 15 years.  You won't find many pictures of me since I am behind the camera, but also because I am ANTI-photogenic. Really, I look like a normal person but when a picture is taken this dork just jumps right out.   ~ sigh ~  I enjoy being home with my children, climbing trees, reading books and kickboxing.  I also love to create - paint, sew, cook, write, repair, garden, design, organize, imagine . . .  I am who I am because of the influence of a few special people - my mother, my husband, my children and my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am a Mormon mom.
 
Michael
This is Michael, my oldest.  He is 17 and starting his first college class this January.  He is a perfectionist and avid speed reader. He is loyal and true and loves the Lord.  I absolutely adore this boy.   Michael was the initial reason we began homeschooling.  As a child with Asperger's Syndrome, public school was very difficult on him in all aspects except  academically.  My husband and I knew two years before hand, that we would be homeschooling him instead of sending him to middle school. Within just a couple of months of homeschooling, many of Michael's "odd behaviors" went away, as did the every day tears brought on by public school.  He has been homeschooled from 6th grade on.  He has THRIVED through homeschooling!  He has taught me to see with new eyes, to teach the individual taking into consideration God-given talents, strengths and weaknesses.

Mattison
This is Mattison.  She is my 11 year old nurturer. She is the most gentle and loving soul I have ever encountered.  She is completely without guile. She loves all things baby and animals.  When Mattie was 3, she was suffering with horrid ear infections . . .  to make a long story short.....  in the process, we discovered she could not hear certain levels of sound due to her adnoids pressing against her eustachian tubes. Later that year, we found out she also had horrible vision. She had adapted to her challenges so well, that we had no idea.  She has a global delay and issues with small motor, gross motor, coordination, sensory, visual, auditory, and speech systems.  Wow! That was quite a sentence wasn't it? 
Mattie was attending a preschool for special needs children.  Just days before classes resumed, the spirit restrained me from putting her back in and I knew from then on that homeschooling was going to be a family affair.  Through homeschooling, Mattie is progressing wonderfully in her own time frame without the ridicule and harsh judgements from her peers.  She has taught me time and time again, never to underestimate her.  As you can imagine, in addition to homeschooling, her week is filled with Occupational and Speech Therapy appointments.

Mason
This is Mason.  He is the youngest, now 9 years old.  He was born a charmer and has charisma overflowing.  He has perfection issues and sensory issues that make working with him challenging  interesting sometimes.  Mason is very creative and has the mind of an inventor.  Give him some string, tape, and cardboard and get out of the way.  He will spend hours creating and building something.  He is my warrior for agency. He will battle me for control to his dying breath, so I have to be clever and strategize to be successful in obtaining the results I want.  He has taught me to think outside the box, to be creative and clever. And he has reminded me over and over again that sometimes laughter is indeed the best medicine.

♥ That's our crew! ♥







1 comment:

  1. I've been enjoying your blog and look forward to reading more, especially about Mattie and Mason. My youngest son is 5 and sounds A LOT like Mason already! (My son has Sensory Processing Disorder.) Happy homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.