October 15, 2009

History Timeline Notebook - updated

When it comes to History, we've tried many approaches. We've used timelines to get a bigger picture of how everything fits together. We've also studied history by event rather than chronologically, but this HISTORY NOTEBOOK put them all together. I purchased a notebook and these cool dividers at Staples. I labeled them according to dates. We've only been using this for a few months but we love adding to our notebook. Here is the plan - as we are studying the 50 states, we will place a state page under that date that it became a state. When we study an artist, scientist, inventor or what have you, we can catalogue a page of our study under the appropriately dated tab. With each subject not just History, we will be adding to this growing time line; the more we study the fatter it will get. We can scan historical or living books and place them, along with a summary, in the appropriate date for memory joggers. This also offers a great place to put those wonderful maps of long ago for future reference to see how territories and country borders have changed. I'm really excited about seeing all the connections, from places all over the world. So far I have the 15th -20th century tabbed for every decade. I plan to enlarge the time periods on the earlier history tabs soon. Here is another picture of our notebook. This is one of those great pieces of inspiration from above. I feel grateful to be given such great ideas, that are apparently so much greater than my own.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/20/2009

    Hi! LOVE this idea! Where did you get your State Fact pages? And how are your dates labeled? Every 20 years? Every 50?

    Jessy
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I have the 15oos through the 1990s labeled. They are done using the 10 tabs (I used a 12 tab product I found at staples)So they are labeled every 10 years... 1500,1510,1520,1530, etc. For the earlier times I will use larger blocks of time per tab. I haven't decided exactly how I want those yet, so I've been putting pages that happen before 1500 in the front of the notebook. I will labeling more in the notebook soon and will post updates.

    The state fact pages I use are found at www.currclick.com called The 5o States by Notebooking Nook. They are great and offer alot of options in their product. Not only do we file the page you see in the photo (state summary) but we also file the famous person from that state. We use a free website as a resource - www.50states.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. We have been meaning to do a history book per Charlotte Mason but haven't gotten around to it. I hope you will continue to post pictures and talk about what you are putting in it. ...especially until I get around to copying you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/23/2009

    Thanks, Dana! I found The 50 States by Notebooking Nook for $18! And I understand your labeling now. I plan on doing something similar with my 2nd grader next school year when she studies American History. Look forward to more fun ideas and updates of your history notebook!

    Jessy
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/Jessy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.