April 27, 2009

Mini-Offices


I was searching homeschooling blogs for something special and came across two really great ideas that I've grabbed onto whole heartedly. The first I'll mention in this post - Mini offices.

Mini- offices are made using file folders and they are basically privacy shields and resource centers.

This is what I love about mini- offices:

  • They offer privacy. This really helps with children who are easily distracted by movement of others around their work area.
  • They offer a way of constant review. You apply resources your child will use during the year and they see it everyday. You've heard the saying "out of sight, out of mind" - not a problem here.
  • Children learn to 'find information' themselves. This is a biggie! If I had a nickel for every time a child said "Mom, what's ???" I'd have $$$ of nickels! I remind them to check in their office and if they can't find the answer, to let me know. So no more "What's the abbreviation for Maine?" They have their own map in their office and the answer is right in front of them.
  • They have so many possibilites. You are only limited by your imagination. You can have a periodic table, formulas to solve algebra equations, smaller versions of famous pieces of art, Anatomy of the human body, The Declaration of Independence, etc.
  • They store easily. Mini-offices take up the same space as a file folder.

Here is a picture of Mattie using her mini-office.

You can find more info on mini-offices by clicking here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting our blog. Feel free to leave me a comment.